West Sussex Carers Online title with a colourful picture of a paperchain of people
Funded and hosted by West Sussex County Council logo
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!

Resources for carers > Common questions from carers > Q: What do I have to do to get the Carers Benefit?

Q: What do I have to do to get the Carers Benefit?

A: The proper name of the ''Carers Benefit'' is Carer's Allowance (CA), and to qualify for it, you need to be aged 16 or over, and be spending at least 35 hours a week caring (including such things as staying at home to keep the person safe). Also, the person you care for has to be receiving Attendance Allowance, or Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate for personal care. You cannot get CA if you are in full time education, or if your earnings are above 75 per week. Carer's Allowance is not paid in addition to the state pension - if CA is higher than your state pension, then the higher of the two rates is paid. However, if you are on a pension but have a low income, and are receiving Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG), then there is a Carer Premium (a supplement which is paid on top of MIG) for those who meet the criteria for CA. You can get the forms for CA from you local Citizen's Advice Bureau, who will also help you to fill them in. You can always phone the project to discuss your situation, because the benefit rules are not easy.


Small icon of an envelope representing Information You can get more information from:

West Sussex Carers Network Carers Support Services across West Sussex

The Citizen's Advice Bureau

Top of page | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement |     Last updated date: 04 Oct 2006

In partnership with
ICIS : information for life :: Carers Liaison Project :: Carers Support Service :: Carers Liaison Service :: Carers UK
This site is maintained and developed by ICIS.