West Sussex Carers Online title with a colourful picture of a paperchain of people
Funded by West Sussex County Council logo
facebook logo
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!

Carers Allowance

Simpler claim form for Carers Allowance
All carers who get State Pension should now use Form DS700 (SP). This form just asks basic questions about entitlement, and there is a separate Notes booklet, which helps people to fill in the form. The form is available from the Carer's Allowance Unit or your local Pension Centre. Alternatively, download it from www.gov.uk

Carers Allowance
Carer's Allowance is now 58.45, meaning that this is the amount carers can earn before losing this allowance.

If you are over 16 and are caring for someone for at least 35hrs a week you may be entitled to 58.45 a week but you must be earning less than 100 a week. The person you are caring for must also be receiving an appropriate benefit, such as the 'Disability Living Allowance' or 'Attendance Allowance'. Claiming Carers Allowance ensures that the recipient earns contributions to the basic state pension because the Government sees the role of caring as a form of work. If your circumstances change, don't forget to contact the Carers Allowance Unit - Tel: 0845 608 4321 or textphone 0845 604 5312.

It is important to check to see if you qualify.
  • Not receiving full state pension? For carers receiving state pension, it is worth checking with the Pensions Service regarding possible pension credit entitlement.
  • Anyone who gives up work to care for someone can claim.
  • Couples' income is not counted together, so spouses or partners who give up work to look after friends or relatives can claim regardless of how much income the household receives as a whole.
  • Even if you are receiving a pension you may qualify for some help. If in doubt have a chat with people who may be able to help, listed at the bottom of this page.

And if you don't qualify?
  • You may still be able to get financial help. Contact the Benefit Enquiry Line for disabled people and carers - Tel: 0800 88 22 00 and ask them if there are any other benefits you are eligible for.

  • Line

    Small envelope representing information You can get more information from:

    www.gov.uk - information, advice and claim forms as well as a comprehensive Benefit Advisor tool which can assist with what benefits you may be entitled to.

    Changes in circumstances for you or the person you are caring for - you need to report any changes in circumstances for yourself, the person you are caring for or a dependent adult as a change can affect whether you can receive Carer's Allowance or the amount you get. Find out more at www.gov.uk

    A video guide to Carers Allowance - this short video introduces Carer's Allowance and gives gives important information about the rules and regulations you need to know. From guidelines regarding earnings, to avoiding an adverse affect on the disabled person's benefits, this video guide outlines the carer's allowance in an easy-to-understand format. Read more at www.videojug.com/film/a-guide-to-carers-allowance

    The Carers UK website

    www.ageuk.org.uk whose information section has a factsheet about Carers Allowance

    www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk - provides services previously delivered by Job Centres and social security offices. Staff can advise enquirers whether they are eligible for Carers Allowance. Anyone contacting Jobcentre Plus should know their National Insurance number.


    To claim Carers Allowance:

    • Telephone: 0845 608 4321
    • Textphone: 0845 604 5312
    • Or obtain a claim pack by completing leaflet DS700 available from post offices, social security offices or your local Citizen's Advice Bureau (The Citizen's Advice Bureau - A national voluntary organisation providing free information and advice on a wide range of issues. The website contains a great deal of useful information on a huge range of topics.)
    • You can also download a copy of the pack from the Dept for Works and Pensions website www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/carers_allowance.asp - Dept for Work and Pensions information on carers allowance



    If you are having trouble finding the information you need on this website you could try using one of the following search options:

    Local Search
    You can use this facility to search the Carers Online database for organisations in West Sussex that may be able to help you.

    Search this Site
    You can use this facility to search the website for a particular keyword or phrase.

Top of page | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement |     Last updated date: 05 Nov 2012

In partnership with
ICIS : information for life
Carers Support Services - Regis, Chichester and Rural :: North and Mid Sussex :: Worthing and District
Carers UK
This site is maintained and developed by ICIS, 35 Worthing Road, East Preston BN16 1BQ